I thought that it was way past time to create my own blog. This is no easy task, considering that i am a definite technophobic!!!

My children (and theirs) introduced me to the wonderful world of the internet and all that comes with it!! First google, then ebay, internet groups and blogs!! I have met so many wonderful, charming people that i now call friend. Please bear with me while i blunder and bluff my way through this, until i find my way. Which is how i have survived most of the daunting situations that i have landed myself in!!!

Saturday, October 22, 2011

if it smells like a rose....


















I haven't posted for some time, but I'll leave the "buts and why for's,'' for another day... I wrote a few words for my garden club and thought that I'd kill two birds with one stone.. so its getting used twice. We have moved house many times over the years and I always find it hard to leave the garden. More so than the house, so I take numerous cuttings and many pots of things that I can't bear to part with... we end up moving more garden stuff than furniture and belongings.. I tend to grow mainly cottage garden type plants with roses being my undying love. Roses are the world's most photographed, most written about and most loved , the world over... everyone has a favourite, whether its for colour, type or perfume. I am no exception, I love the old world roses and David Austin's...   our garden is not large, it's easy to maintain but it does get overgrown quickly, due to the fact that i hate to cut things back.. 'just a little longer,' I say, as the last blooms of each season, linger....  This year the roses rambling over the front fence, the invincible 'Albertine' and the constantly flowering 'Duchesse de Brabant' that adorns the arch, have been prolific. I find myself checking the mailbox contstantly, just to get a whiff of their sweet perfume... All too soon, they will be just a memory, but, how lovely it is to know that they will endure and give pleasure for many years to come.. these two roses take pride of place, but there are others that I have planted here with success. there's 'Pierre de Ronsard', Reine des Violettes', 'Jude the Obscure' with the glorious fruity aroma. the ever popular 'Pinkie' that never disappoints. theres the climbing 'Blue Moon' on the side fence near the cricket oval. we have many more and of course you need lavender, daisies and the clipped hedges to compliment them... Max is as passionate about the garden as I am. We tend to be haphazzard with our planting, so we end up with a chaotic somewhat wild look.. we prefer this, rather than the very neat orderly style that many adopt. For accent in the garden, we use anything that is old and/or rustic. Any old bits and pieces, mirrors mosaiics, pretty much anything goes! I think our gardens echo ourseves to some degree... oh dear!! this really is a mad woman's muddle and muddle on, we will!  And if we continue to get pleasure fom planting, growing and sharing then this garden has well and truly earned it's place in our lives!! It is constantly changing and always rewarding!
happy gardening...Red rose
lots of love
 Christine xx

9 comments:

  1. Nice to see you and don't offer apologies for absences or I will have to as well when I get around to updating! What a glorious time it is in the garden at the moment and yours is looking wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. christine, i am so glad to hear from you.. i think of you often. yes, the sun is shining.
    blogger wouldn't let me comment til now.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Christine! Your garden is GORGEOUS! I, too, Adore Roses! I have had to leave behind only a couple of gardens in my life.... it is SOOO hard... but it also is like having a whole new canvas to paint on with a new garden! Smell those roses for me... we are starting in on winter up here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting my blog Christine,what wonderful gardens you have created, it is nice to know you have left a very positive mark on your environment but difficult to leave so much behind. Always looking forward though and I also enjoy a not-too-neat garden, where you find little surprises and nature takes over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you ladies... nothing here even resembles "neat" at the moment!chaos reigns! its the end of flowering for losts of plants .. most are overgrown and i'll have to get out with a machete just to leave the premises!! maybe the garden wants to keep me! well, i'm not going anywhere, have to win lotto for that! so where's my gloves and snips, what do they say about idle hands... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Christine,
    I've just discovered you beautiful blog and I'm in love!!
    You've created such beauty with your garden, and your photos are a delight to look at. They are wonderfully inspiring for my miniature garden making.
    hugs
    vicky xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi vicky, thank you so much.. i have been having a bit of blogger trouble, i couldn't see your post.. sorry. gardens and dolls houses what more could you want ... xx

      Delete
  7. I wish I could smell these roses, Christine - especially the David Austins! Maybe one day :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi rebecca, wouldn't that be wonderful... maybe you could come up next time you're in sydney !! xxx

      Delete